Saturday, March 27, 2010

プリクラ and 家族 (purikura and family)

Before I get into what I have been up to, I really wanted to dedicate the first half of this post to talking/sharing about the プリクラ or purikura (which I have mentioned before).

プリクラ
I have a feeling that all of my money is going to end up being spent on the プリクラ (purikura). It really is an interesting/amazing たのし! and above all addicting thing. Ok, so the Purikura (プリクラ ) which is shortened form of purinto kurabu (プリント倶楽部) or printc= club. Anyway the best way to start of describing it is that it is a photo booth. If you have ever used one of the cute photo booths found at Sanrio stores it is a much more complex version than that, but a nice point of reference. When you first enter the プリクラ you first choose the type of photos you will take (e.g. cute pastel, cute vivid, etc.)from there you select 6 backgrounds which vary from simple to backgrounds with flowers/leopard print/stripes, etc. you then take photos like in any other photo booth. One of the very Japanese aspects about the プリクラ is that it makes your eyes look bigger. It doesn't look to strange for Japanese, but since my eyes are rather large to begin with they end up look obscenely large. However the truly unique part about the プリクラ begins after you are done taking photos. Once done you go outside of the photo booth and you can draw/add bling/ stickers onto the photo you took before printing them out. Another cool thing is that once you are completely done designing your photo you can upload them onto your phone via infared

Infared: I don't know if people really know about infrared so I will quickly describe what it does. I think Infrared is kind of like bluetooth. It is a way of transfering information from one phone to another, and I guess also photos from the purikura onto your phone. So in Japan instead of taking the time to put someones number and name into your phone you would simply activate your infrared and connect the two phones infrared ports and have ALL their contact information automatically stored into your phone. Very convenient and interesting!

Editing/drawing on the original photo





((not the best quality since I just used the macro feature on my digi cam, but these are some of my purikura photos.) (Top: other IES students) (Bottom: Me and my host sisters!!!)

Today I met my first temporary homestay family!!! At first I was oh soooo nervous! I was scared that I would offend them or that they wouldn't like me, but so far everything seems to be fine. I have 2 host sisters; Tomomi 19 and Miki 15. They are both very sweet. My host mothers name is Fumie, she doesn't speak much English but she is very sweet and I have enjoyed spending time with her communicating in our own way since my Japanese is even more limited than her English. My host fathers name is Kiyokazu he has such a fun personality and today we watched some sumo on the テレビ and he explained some of the sport to me. There is so much I want to share about my experience so far with my host family, but since it is late and we are waking up early tomorrow I suppose it will have to wait. One last thing I want to share before I go is that tonight I made my first gyoza! My host sisters taught me so I was able to contribute to cooking our とても おいしい dinner!


(In the process of making my first gyoza!)


My first Gyoza, still needs to be fried though!

おやすみなさい!

ケリ

1 comment:

charlotte said...

It all looks great Keri, I hope you'll keep enjoying your adventure in Japan! XX Charlotte