Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chaos

Hey there readers
I am trying my best to keep this blog fairly updated, but some days I feel so unmotivated to write that it is hard. And other days, such as today I have so many trivial things I want to write about that it seems pretty hard to determine where to begin. So if this blog comes out a bit non-sensical, scattered, etc that would be because it is essentially reflecting exactly how my life currently is right now. So, be prepared for odd disjointed thoughts that may disappear only to reappear 3 paragraphs later.

So here I am. Stuck at the BOE today. doing...well a ton of mixtures of nothing. clearly I am now typing this blog, earlier I sent out an email to one of my best friends, and I guess for the rest of the day my goal is to finish reading Dexter as slowly as possible to try to make the last 35 pages last me 3 hours (wishful thinking).

I think I can officially say that I have reached the Stage 2 party that was so often brought up at Tokyo orientation as well as Yamaguchi Orientation. And Stage 2 parties are a hoot, let me tell you that. Here are some warning signs of a stage 2 party: 1)A small break out of pimples sends you into a fit of rage and anger at Japan for destroying your usually flawless skin,2) frustration at one of your JTE`s (Japanese Teacher of English who you team teach with) for asking you a gazillion questions that you are too tired to bother answering (not to mention she also rifled around through some of your belongings without asking permission), 3) feeling lonely as heck, 4)Irritated at really horrible Japanese drivers,5) Feeling that you want to get out of the country in a hot second, 6) Feeling like your Japanese language class is a waste of time because really, when the heck are you going to use some of these phrases , and sensei can you try to make the lesson a little more structured than my blogs! oh yeah and how could I forget 7) Have your car in a ditch. Any or all of these signs?, `Welcome to the Stage 2 party` population: Keri
Did I forget to mention the best (see worst) part about the stage two party. You are usually the only one in attendance. Yippie!

Right now you are probably wondering one of two questions.
1) Why was your car in a ditch
or
2) How did your car end up in a ditch

Answer:
Ask me later, I am too into this stage 2 party right now to bother answering.



You know you live in the country (or Oshima) when they call a forklift to get your car out of a ditch.

All of this negativity aside, I think i am doing pretty okay.
But I am facing a lot of tough decisions that need to be decided kind of soon, or at least soon enough.
Tough Decision 1) I really like being in Japan (stage 2 parties aside) and I would really like to be here a second year (I think) but Oshima (aka isolated old people central) might not be the ideal location. So do I try to transfer locations within Yamaguchi prefecture with JET? Or do I tough it out and stay put?....I dont know. Transfers are pretty difficult, so even if I do put in the request, more than likely it will be declined. Which leads me to tough decision number
2) Do I quit JET and join a private English teaching company in Japan. Well maybe, but the benefits aren`t nearly as awesome (aka pay, healthcare, housing, and my return tickets wont be paid for) but the nice thing, you usually aren`t way out in the sticks (such as Oshima) but then there is also tough decision
3) Do I stay in Japan at all? I am going through some really rough transitions in my life right now emotionally, and I am feeling extremely vulnerable here due to the extreme isolation throughout the work week. I think maybe it is best for me to go home where I have an amazing support network of friends and family but then I will be a member of the 99% who is out raging against corporate america for not letting me have a sliver of the pie that I have worked my ass off for. (but lets not go into that now).
At the soonest I need to make these Decisions by Nov. 4th (if I want to stay but transfer with JET) at the soon enough-ist I have to decide by Feb (if I want to stay with JET in Japan). Ughhh if you know me, then you know that choices are the bane of my existence.

Stage 2 party, Choices, and Ditches aside, I think life is trucking along well enough.
This past weekend I did some small scale retail therapy to hopefully help pull me out of my stage 2 slump. So I went with one of my friends Kris to a shopping mall in Hiroshima prefecture to buy sensible things (such as heat tech clothing, some work outfits) and less sensible things (leopard shorts, funky earmuffs[to be work together]) and random things (a vegetable steamer). I think the say out doing mindless shopping was exactly what I needed to get my mind off of all the small stress factors in my life. That evening we were also going to meet up with a few other friends to have a dinner pie and movie night (rocky horror to celebrate the spirit of Halloween). Since Kris and I were in Hiroshima (where there happens to be a pretty decent, but small foreign foods shop) we also decided to pick up wine (on Steph`s suggestion and Kris` agreement) and cheese (my suggestion because really nothing makes a better coupling than cheese and wine). And I think that turned out to top off a great weekend off of Oshima. The pie was extremely delicious it was a veggie girl wonderland filled with potato, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, eggplant, you name it (wish there had been some artichoke that would`ve been grand). Dessert was an equally delicious apple crumble followed with amazing wine and cheeses. I suggested that we make wine and cheese night a monthly ritual, because lord knows I need cheese in my life.


Hurray for Wine and Cheese (extra hurray)



And now for a topic that is coming straight out of left field (or my completely scattered brain, take your pick)
Dodgeball!

Some of you may recall that in college i was on one of the most winningest dodgeball teams ever! (at least we had a complete losing streak, that`s hard to do, right?)
Well Japanese Dodgeball is the oddest thing ever. I am glad I waited until now to post about it because at I have only finally begun to understand fully exactly how it works. (assuming you know the fundamentals of dodgeball so you would be able to pick up the differences)
So my first experience with dodgeball in Japan:
I was placed on the white cap team (its cute Japanese elementary school uniforms have this little cap that are reversible and the inside is white and outside is red, which is perfect for differentiating different team members for dodgeball, soccer, etc) anyway, like I said I was placed onto the white cap team (which happened to be 3&4th graders) vs. the red caps (5&6th graders) I think the idea was that I was supposed to help even the playing field with my age advantage (laugh). It started out familiar enough, we drew out the court and the half way median. But instead of having a plethora of balls there was only one. hmmmm, intersting,but I can deal with that. And we begin with a basketball like duel for the ball at the center line. And as expected my miniture team mates were not able to get the ball from their older peers. As the game progresses and the first kid is hit and told that he is out, this is where the oddity begins to really appear. So instead of just sitting on the side line waiting for a team mate to catch a ball so he can be summoned back into the game he is running around the edges of the court on the opposing teams side. Confusion is certainly surfacing. One of my teammates then throws the ball outside of the playing arena to our outed team mate who then catches it and attempts to hit one of the red hats. Confusion is completely kicked in.
As it turns out in Japanese dodgeball being out does not mean you stop playing. It means you play on the outside, and once you hit an opposing member with the ball from the outside you get to go back into the game. Very very confusing. Also if you catch a ball that someone on the other team threw they are not out and it does not bring one of your outed team members back in. It just means you got lucky and are not out. Very odd. But by far the oddest thing is that you have to worry about the people on the opposite end of the court from you as well as the people circling the outfield of your end of the court. So this means you can get hit from all sides. TERRIFYING! nowhere is safe!

And the other day I discovered first hand why they generally tend to play with only one ball, because that day I got the pleasure of playing dodgeball with 2 balls. And oh geeze, I was terrified before, no, this was a new level of fear. The opposing team is now able to be in possession of two balls at once, which also means that one can be behind/to the side of you while the other is facing you down from the opposite court. FML. Thankfully I told my kids do NOT hit Keri sensei on the head! And please for the love of hello kitty do not pummel me with the ball. I have not yet witnessed a more terrifying game than Japanese dodgeball with 2 balls. Thank goodness the most we have played with are 2, I cannot imagine what kind of hell would break loose with 7 balls flying around.


This should kind of give you an idea of how a Japanese dodgeball game is set up.

And to end this random blog post on a high note here are some things that make me happy:
I have a block of real cheese sitting in my fridge at home, This weekend we will have our Halloween party, My mom is visiting me in Dec, and I hopefully will be taking a small trip to Korea in Jan. to visit some of my friends from college.

Now back to reading Dexter.

1 comment:

Bastiaan said...

Hey! I know that "Japanese dogdgeball" game. I played it throughout primary and secondary school. And yes, it is scary with two balls. I love how you describe your life like an outside observer. Car in a ditch as a small sidenote to the larger story of life. Hope we can catch up soon!